The lifestyle of the rich and famous.
Beyonce and Rihanna, but who is actually richer?
Beyoncé and Rihanna are two of the biggest names in music, and they have both transcended their singing careers to become business moguls in their own right. But when it comes to their net worth, there is a clear winner.
According to Forbes, Rihanna is now officially a billionaire, with an estimated net worth of $1.4 billion. Beyoncé is not far behind, but her estimated net worth of $540 million (also per Forbes) puts her squarely in second place regarding wealth.
Both women have built hugely successful business empires outside of music, but Rihanna has taken her entrepreneurial hustle to a new level. She has leveraged her fame into lucrative fashion and beauty ventures at a scale that currently outpaces Beyoncé’s business portfolio.
Let’s examine how these two powerhouse celebrities have amassed their fortunes and created vast business and investment empires.
Beyoncé’s Net Worth and Career
As of 2023, Beyoncé Knowles-Carter has a net worth of $540 million, making her one of the wealthiest singers in the world. Born in Houston, Texas, Beyoncé first rose to fame as part of the girl group Destiny’s Child in the late 1990s. After the group disbanded, she launched a massively successful solo career, including hits like “Crazy in Love,” “Single Ladies,” “Halo,” and “Formation.”
Beyond singing and performing, Beyoncé has monetized her brand through multiple avenues:
- Music sales: She has sold over 100 million records as a solo artist, while Destiny’s Child sold over 60 million records. She has won 28 Grammy Awards for her music.
- Touring: Her tours consistently gross over $100 million. The Formation World Tour in 2016 grossed over $250 million.
- Films: Beyoncé has appeared in several films, including Dreamgirls, for which she received a Golden Globe nomination for Best Actress. She starred in and produced the 2019 Lion King remake, which grossed over $1.6 billion worldwide.
- Endorsements: Beyoncé has had endorsement deals with Pepsi, American Express, L’Oreal, and more. She reportedly received $50 million for her original Pepsi deal.
- Investments: Beyoncé has invested in successful companies like Peloton and GreenPark Sports. She also owns the music streaming service Tidal with her husband, Jay-Z.
In addition to her income streams from entertainment and endorsements, Beyoncé has an extensive portfolio of real estate assets worth around $150 million. This includes mansions in California, New York, and the Hamptons, plus a $90 million private island in the Bahamas she and Jay-Z purchased together.
Beyoncé’s husband, rapper and entrepreneur Jay-Z, is worth $1.3 billion. Together, they form one of the most powerful couples in music and business. While Beyoncé’s wealth lies behind Jay-Z’s, she is on track to keep growing her fortune.
Renaissance World Tour
Beyoncé’s Renaissance World Tour in 2023 has proven to be a massive success, further cementing her status as one of history’s most popular and profitable touring artists. The tour promoted her 2022 album Renaissance and visited stadiums across Europe and North America from May to October 2023.
The Renaissance World Tour broke numerous records, becoming the highest-grossing tour by a female artist of all time. According to Billboard Boxscore, the tour grossed over $250 million from only 40 shows, with several dates bringing in over $5 million per night. The tour was praised for its grand production, with complex choreography and lavish visuals bringing Beyoncé’s empowering music to life. While Rihanna currently bests Beyoncé regarding total net worth thanks to her business ventures, Beyoncé continues to dominate as a live performer. The Renaissance World Tour demonstrated her unparalleled power as a touring force, bringing in massive revenues through her extraordinary talents as an entertainer.
Rihanna’s Net Worth and Career
Born Robyn Rihanna Fenty in Barbados, Rihanna first hit the music scene as a teenager in the mid-2000s with catchy pop songs like “Pon de Replay” and “SOS.” She soon became one of the most influential artists of her generation, with sales of over 250 million records worldwide.
Some highlights of Rihanna’s incredibly successful music and performing career:
- Music sales: She has earned 14 number-one Billboard singles, 31 top 10 singles on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, and nine Grammy Awards. Her 2012 album Unapologetic reached number one on the Billboard 200.
- Touring: Her tours have grossed hundreds of millions worldwide. The Diamonds World Tour in 2013 earned over $140 million.
- Films: Rihanna has appeared in several films, including Battleship, Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, and Ocean’s 8.
- Endorsements: She has signed deals with Nike, Dior, CoverGirl, and Puma, among others. The Puma deal reportedly paid her $10 million per year.
However, most of Rihanna’s billion-dollar fortune comes from her business ventures beyond music. She has leveraged fame into hugely lucrative fashion, beauty, and lifestyle brands.
Her most valuable assets include:
- Fenty Beauty: Rihanna’s 50% ownership stake in this cosmetics brand is worth an estimated $1.4 billion alone. Launched in 2017 with LVMH, Fenty Beauty earned over $550 million in revenue in its first year by targeting diverse consumers and offering inclusive shade ranges.
- Savage X Fenty: This lingerie company was launched in 2018 and is now worth an estimated $270 million. Rihanna owns 30% of the business, has expanded into brick-and-mortar stores, and attracts viral buzz through star-studded fashion shows on streaming services.
- Fenty: Rihanna’s luxury fashion house launched under LVMH in 2019. It houses apparel, footwear, accessories, and jewelry lines and was valued at $150 million as of 2020.
- Fenty Skin: Rihanna’s skincare brand launched in 2021 in partnership with LVMH. Its value is harder to estimate but is projected to be worth nine figures.
Add it all up, and Bad Girl Riri is kicking butt in the business world on top of her music career. Unlike Beyoncé, the bulk of Rihanna’s fortune does not come from music sales and touring but from her rapidly growing companies. Her 50% stake in Fenty Beauty alone is worth 20 times what Beyoncé is estimated to be worth.
Rihanna is now the wealthiest female musician in the world and the second wealthiest entertainer behind Oprah Winfrey. She has proven herself a powerhouse entrepreneur on top of her artistic talents.
Conclusion: Rihanna is Far Richer Than Beyoncé
Based on their estimated net worth in 2023, Rihanna has a much higher total fortune than Beyoncé, with $1.4 billion versus $540 million.
Both women have built hugely successful entertainment careers with record-breaking music and tours. However, Rihanna has taken her business ventures to new heights, launching several thriving companies, especially in cosmetics and lingerie. Her 50% ownership of Fenty Beauty accounts for most of her wealth.
Beyoncé and husband Jay-Z also have impressive investment portfolios and business assets like Tidal, but Rihanna’s current estimated net worth of $1.4 billion dwarfs them. Of course, Beyoncé is still in the prime of her career, while Rihanna has taken a break from music in recent years to focus on business.
Here is a summary of their estimated net worths:
Rihanna’s Net Worth:
- Fenty Beauty: $1.4 billion
- Savage X Fenty: $270 million
- Fenty fashion line: $150 million
- Fenty Skin: ~$100+ million projected
- Music earnings, endorsements, etc.: ~$150 million+
Total: $1.4 billion
Beyoncé’s Net Worth:
- Music sales and touring: ~$500 million
- Investments and assets: ~$150 million
- Endorsements, films, etc.: ~$150 million+
Total: $540 million
Of course, Rihanna and Beyoncé are still at the top of their games and have decades to grow their fortunes. But now, Rihanna has a decisive lead as the richer of the two superstars. Her thriving beauty, fashion, and lingerie lines have made her a billionaire.
Beyoncé’s music career continues to thrive, and she may expand her business ventures beyond music in the coming years. But Rihanna’s business empire is so massive that it will be difficult for Beyoncé to catch up anytime soon. For now, Bad Girl Riri takes the crown as the wealthier queen of music.